Saturday, July 19, 2008

Update

Since I've been home I've been trying to line up a trucking job that has a more predicable schedule. Susan and I decided that what I was heading for at Werner (and it would be the same for rookie drivers with most companies) -- i.e., 7-14 days out and two at home with no way to know which two days or when they would come up-- was not going to work for us. So I've been answering ads.

One of those came from an outfit called Relay Express that's based in Cincinnati and has an office in Romulus. I interviewed for a job that would have had me driving parts of 6 days/week, initially on a dedicated route between Chicago and Romulus. They thought me too inexperienced for that, but gave me a chance at a job delivering Trane heating and air conditioning units in an area covering southeast Michigan and the Thumb. The pay was marginal for my needs, but I agreed to go out with a trainer last Wednesday & Thursday, reporting at 4:30am each day. I think I could have managed the freight, which the driver unloads, but the trainer didn't agree. I think he thought I would injure myself and he's probably right. I'm glad I tried it, though. The trainer was a piece of work. Late 50's with tattoos covering both arms. He used to be in a biker club and I'm sorry to say he fit the stereotype: a foul-mouthed misogynist and racial bigot, his speech was heavily riddled with MFs. So it was unpleasant much of the time, but definitely an educational experience of a kind.

I've also applied to NTB, Inc. for another over-the-road job. The difference between it and Werner is that they promise 5 days out and the same 2 days home each week. I hope to have an interview with NTB this coming week.

In the meantime, a couple of my Trainco classmates -- Lumpy and Craig --have completed their training and are getting their own trucks to head out as solo drivers. The others are in training as far as I know. Lumpy calls regularly with news.

I remain optimistic that I'll find the right fit. I miss the driving and the "open road."

No comments: